Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Bandsaw: Update 12

 EH.
The bottom enclosure has all the faces ready for gluing.

A better view of the hinge side. The front face is leaning against the drawer at the bottom.

I needed to split the sides along the hinge plane. I marked my lines and prepared to cut. I left enough width on each piece to compensate for the table saw blade kerf.

Dry fit with the cut side pieces. You can see the top piece cut. I made sure everything was flush...

...and applied glue and clamped. The split sides were held in place with some masking tape. I made sure while clamping to keep those pieces aligned so the door would close in line. 

The doors open after drying. The bottom door can open a maximum of 90 degrees, as the hinged side piece makes contact with the motor sheave. 

To add support to the sides, I cut and glued triangular supports as done before on the top enclosure. I use these weights a lot to keep everything flat while gluing.

Look, more binding. Same process as before, this time easier since there aren't any curves.

With the bottom bound and hinged, I cleft a phone book in twain. I'll add some trim around the bottom there to cover the opening into the stand.

I'm going to order a few draw latches soon to attach to the doors. The next two parts of the enclosure are the motor sheave cover and table underside cover. Afterwards, I'll do some touching up here and there followed by dismantling the entire thing and applying a finish (Minwax Polycrylic). There are some smaller things like a blade cover on the blade guide, extra binding, wiring the motor, and tuning up the wheel mounts.

More eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment