Friday, April 5, 2013

Bandsaw: Update 5

 Hi.
I finally found some 14" tubes. I cut them down the middle and stretched them over the wheels.

Some rip cuts and a 35 degree cut later, I have the main extension for the upper blade guide. The smaller bits for the actual blade guide components were quick to cut, so I didn't document that at all.

This block will be the clamp for the upper blade guide extension. It has a series of steps and angles that need cut, so this piece was a bit difficult to manufacture. I used a large forstner bit to remove most the center...

... then I used the cross-cut sled to flatten the main area out. You can see the marks of future cuts in the picture. These were all done with the table saw. The blade has dulled noticeably since working this maple.

 Shown are the new blade guides, including the guide blocks made from leftover mahogany for the guitar neck. Care was taken to ensure the long upper blade guide extension moved linearly along the blade. The notch, which was cut in the frame, was squared carefully with a circular saw followed by a chisel.

The extension clamp is in place. The guides hold firmly. I'll need to either manufacture a few hand knobs, or buy some plastic ones. These would be used for the upper blade guide extension and thrust bearing (along with the future table trunions).

That's all for now. I'll try to document more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment