Friday, March 29, 2013

Bandsaw: Update 4

More work done, etc, etc, etc....

The wheels need their diameters and crowns. I used the smaller bandsaw motor and hammered a circular piece of plywood to it. I used a cheap set of lathing chisels to make a groove in it to fit the v-belt.

 A sandwich of three circles of plywood make a temporary large pulley seen here. The shaft is clamped to blocks of wood onto the bench.

After a good deal of sharpening, the lathe chisels from Harbor Freight actually cut and I got the wheels to the proper diameter and crowned.

Before and after. I trued out any wobble with the sides of the wheels.

Skipping forward to the bottom wheel, I mounted a ~3/4" piece of plywood to the opposite side of the temporary pulley and cut a groove for the v-belt. I removed the temporary pulley and spun up the wheel as shown. This is the final wheel-pulley assembly.

 I need a dust collector.

Showing the crown, v-belt groove, and spot filling. I eventually coated the wheels with finish.

Just a view of the upper wheel mount assembly. Mostly maple besides the plywood and frame. The hardwoods have been coated with finish.

Different lighting. Looks good.

 Now for the trunion support beam. I needed a thick piece of hardwood (~2.25") for it, so I laminated a 1.5" maple piece with some scrap tiger-wood flooring.

 I trimmed the sides, made a few cuts, and drilled some holes. Looks much better.

In place, along with the lower blade guide mount from maple. Didn't document that much.

Set a blade on the bare wheels. Everything's parallel and smooth. Nice. I would put the tires on, but I couldn't find any store that sells 14" tires nearby. I spent hours and 5 different stores and couldn't find one. 

Pilot holes drilled, and the beam is mounted.

I'll finish the blade guides, and try and get a motor. Still no luck there.

-Pancake

No comments:

Post a Comment