Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bandsaw: Update 2


I've put a bit more work into the bandsaw. Here's some pics yo.




 With the final frame pieces glued to the upper 'C' section, I hacked off the corners for an aesthetic touch. The circular saw was in an inconvenient location (right out the garage door and in the truck) so I opted for ye' olde fashioned method. The saw was very dull and I regret everything.

Some more parts for the supports glued.


I bought a 1.75" square dowel from Le Home Depoux, planed it to thickness, and made a few crosscuts for the upper wheel mount frame. It looks like maple.


Making great use of my crosscut sled, I sliced up some rabbets. The frame gets glued.


Trimmed and planed slightly.


This is a load bearing part of the saw, carrying the tension of the blade. It needs to be strengthened with splines. It's my spline jig's time to shine. The shims for the splines are in the background. 


Trimmed, etc. 


Here's a used maple bench from a school. I should be able to make all of the hardwood portions with this.


 Shown also in the previous photo, these to thicknessed pieces will make the bottom wheel mount.


 I bought two 1" shafts, 4 bearings, and 4 shaft collars for the saw. Here's one in the lower wheel mount. Look at me, I'm captain america.


Here's a rip cut for the upper wheel mount. It needs to be ~3.5" thick, so I need to cut and join a few. I'm quite surprised at the quality of the maple underneath. Makes me ashamed it's only being used for a structural application. 


 Jumping ahead quite a bit. I joined the upper wheel mount pieces and cut them to shape in a series of complicated and dangerous table saw cuts. A 1" hole was added. I ripped more maple for the frame mounts and drilled 10 holes for mounting. The actual splined frame got trimmed to fit into the frame mounts. It's a tight fit and should work great.


I'll finish up the upper wheel mount mechanism soon, along with mounting the lower mount. Once the lower is mounted, I can glue the remaining base support and motor mounting frame pieces. I'll purchase some plywood soon for the wheels and get them glued while simultaneously shopping for an electric motor.

-Bye.

2 comments:

  1. I thought Thor was the dude with the hammer and Captain 'Merica carried a shield?

    ReplyDelete