Saturday, March 9, 2013

Workbench and Bandsaw Update

Here are some updates. Refer to www.woodgears.ca for more info. To first build the bandsaw, I'll need a workbench. I may as well use the plans for a simple workbench from the site.

2x6 ready for the bench.

 Legs joined with dowels. A band clamp holds it during gluing.

One section done, the other waiting. The door is a solid core door and weighs about 80 lbs.

2x6 cross braces screwed to the leg sections, then screwed to the door table.

On its side.

A coat of Sikkens applied. It was wet for about two days afterwards, then abruptly dried completely. Really strange, but most likely due to weather. 

 


Onto the bandsaw. The plans called for 17mm (0.67") and I had bought 3/4" pine. I purchased this DeWalt planer to do the job.

Rough cuts after ripping, planing, and cross cutting.

All 72 cuts for the bandsaw frame. After cross cutting, I re-ripped each piece to the final width. Calipers and patience allowed me to achieve +/- 0.05 mm.


Final mortise cuts allowed me to roughly assemble the frame.

Adding more.

Laying it out

Beginning gluing with layers 1/2. The first layer here was difficult to glue. The separate pieces shifted with the glue. I couldn't imagine doing this with clamps. I used weights and drywall screws. 



 Layers 1/2/3 done. It's much easier once the frame becomes rigid.

Layers 1/2/3/4 Weights help prevent twisting. 

Layers 1/2/3/4/5

To prevent visible screw holes, the outer layer was only clamped in place.

The screws visible here get cover by one last piece.


More later. 

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment