Friday, March 22, 2013

Bandsaw: Update 3

With my job, I only have a few hours each day to work on the saw. Here's what I've gotten done.

I drilled counter-bores and holes for some 5" screws to mount the lower wheel mount. After this, I finished gluing the base pieces into the joints shown. 

I bought a 4'x8' sheet of ~3/8" and a 2'x4' sheet of  ~1/2" plywood for the wheels. With the 1/2" in the middle, a 3 layer sandwich is made. I cut them out with a sabresaw.

Layers being clamped against a barbell underneath. The barbell helps keep it flat. I had an issue with the one side of the barbell being slightly curved, which did curve the final laminate. I hand planed it back down afterwards without an issue.

I used an adjustable circle cutter to cut a hole for the bearings. They have to be incredibly snug. A vice was used to press them in. Shown also here is the upper wheel mount assembly, showing the pitch adjuster bolt and T-nut.

A backing piece of plywood is glued onto the previously shown flanges.

And then glued onto the wheel using some new clamps and a few holes drilled into the wheel.

 The second bearing for each wheel is glued while on the shaft, so I can rotate the wheel to check alignment before final clamping.


One down.

And two.

I'll need a temporary setup for truing the wheels so I pulled this 1/3hp motor from a cheap Craftsman 9" bandsaw (which has perhaps a 3" re-saw capability). A pulley will be affixed to the motor while a larger temporary pulley will be mounted to the wheel clamped to the table. Further updates should clarify this procedure.

Everything's going smoothly.

Over and out.
-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment